Wednesday, December 16, 2009

1-3 Journal Analysis


The editorial: The Revenge of the Nerds, is a humorous look at how the name Nerd has taken a turn from a derogative statement to a descriptive word that describes a person who is outside of the norm; which isn’t necessarily a bad thing. Recalling his childhood the author finds himself reminiscing about the past and finding pride in his self described nerd-ness.

The author describes growing up in the sixties colleting comic books. “I collected comic books, those wonderful Silver Age comics produced by Marvel and DC. Any kid, who collected comic books at that time, by definition among the young gatekeepers of social norms, was a nerd. It was okay to read them, bending them into unrecognizable shapes in doing so, and then dispose them. But to collect them, it was anathema among my youthful associates.”(Hoppenstand, G.) It is this kind of trivial distinction; reading versus collecting, that can draw the lines between cool and uncool in a youths mind, and caught on the wrong side of that line one can become the subject of ridicule and name calling.

Describing how the shift in the popular opinion of so called nerds has taken place, the author observes. “Now it is downright cool to be a nerd. Nerds such as George Lucas created with Star Wars one of the most profitable media franchises in history. Nerds such as Stephen King have become international bestselling authors.”(Hoppenstand, G.)

The shift continues in the prevalence of video games among youth and young adults as well as the continued need for technology and computers in the adult business world.

5 comments:

  1. The main points from the article are very well portrayed. It makes a great example for how popular culture effects trends in society. It makes me wonder who has enough influence to begin the change on a group...

    ReplyDelete
  2. This article is a great example how people have social aspects of life. The movie was a great movie too. Most people who are considered "nerds" are usually very interesting people. Great example of Stephen King, he was a great writer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was a very interesting article, and I enjoyed reading both it and your summary. The article I reviewed touched on the same subject of nerds and how the term has changed over the years. Public views have changed greatly too. George Lucas is a very good example of how nerds can excel in what they do, Star Wars has to be one of the greatest success stories ever. Stephen King stories are not favorites of mine (although I did like Christine) but I do appreciate the success he has had. I am surprised at how popular comic books still are, based on what I have seen at stores. I think it is wonderful that nerds have been able to change the public's opinion concerning them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was a great article to read. It was a good example of stereotypes we put on people as a society. I enjoyed reading and agreed with the fact that some nerds have become very successful. It helps to change the stigma of the nerd by "Average" people.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved watching Revenge of the Nerds! The article you chosen, along with your posting, are both fine examples of how society has changed. Revenge of the Nerds was cool in the fact that it is how many of us are taught now how to look at people, as unique and worthwhile. Being nerdy was considered to be "dorky" back then, but being nerdy now means you probably make a pretty decent living. Today's nerds are technologically savvy and can pretty much shut our pc's down in eight different ways. Honestly, I wish I were "nerdier." Thank you for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete